This week in my Film Listography Journal series I reveal a list of my favorite independent films of all time.
The biggest misunderstanding of “indie” films is that the movie is either a) cheap or b) a quirky hipster drama that you’ve probably never heard of, man. Maybe that’s been a trend of the 2010’s but let’s just stick with the definition of an indie being that the movie was made with a low budget and without a major studio backing it at the time of it’s initial limited release.
Reservoir Dogs – Quentin Tarantino’s first effort – is hands down the best independent film of all time. It still holds up, it was made in the early 90’s with a plethora of little-known actors at that time and it was shot in mostly one location. It helped usher in the clever use of soundtracks to help magnify a movie experience and above all else – jumpstarted Tarantino’s career.
- American Psycho is the best Christian Bale performance to this day.
- Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn released one of the most absurd and shocking indies of recent years with the astounding Super (Rainn Wilson’s finest performance to date as well).
- What the hell is Haggard? It’s Bam Margera’s indie film that stars the late Ryan Dunn. It’s strictly for fans of the original Jackass/CKY crew and it’s hilarious. Have fun trying to find a copy — but it’s worth it.
- You think Tom Hardy is cool now? Watch Bronson. He’s been cool for a while…
Now fans of the smash-hit Listography journal series (over a quarter of a million copies sold!) can list all their favorite movie picks. Featuring the colorful illustrations of artist Jon Stich throughout, Film Listography boasts over 70 list topics ranging from the classic (favorite films of all time, favorite actors, directors, and soundtracks) to the lovably idiosyncratic (top so-bad-it’s-good movies, scenes that made you cringe, characters you are most like). A celebration of celluloid that’s sure to entertain, this is the ultimate fill-in journal for film fanatics, list lovers, and anyone who appreciates an alternative approach to journaling.
Latest posts by Keven Skinner (see all)
- The Best Acting I’ve Ever Seen: Christian Bale in American Psycho - January 16, 2020
- Fight To The Death: Joaquin Phoenix’ Joker Vs. Heath Ledger’s Joker - January 14, 2020
- GEMINI MAN is a Stunning Turd (4K UHD Blu-ray Review) - January 14, 2020