From Cinemax and showrunner Greg Yaitanes comes the 70’s hitman thriller Quarry based on the series of novels by Max Allan Collins. Starring Logan Marshall-Green, Jodi Balfour, Damon Herriman, Peter Mullan, Edoardo Ballerini, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Ann Dowd and Tom Noonan, the series just concluded its first 8-episode season. Season one is available to own on Blu-ray and DVD as of February 14, 2017!
When Marine Mac “Quarry” Conway returns home to Memphis in 1972 after fighting in Vietnam, he finds that he has been shunned by his loved ones and demonized by the public. Upon his return stateside, Quarry struggles to cope with what he experienced and witnessed while at war and readapt to civilian life. As he struggles to make ends meet financially, Quarry gets drawn into a network of killing and corruption that extends throughout the length of the Mississippi River, and The Broker — the cunning, secretive crime boss who runs the operation — takes a special interest in him.
Quarry is the most intense and atmospheric thriller since True Detective Season 1. From the mind of Max Allan Collins and translated for the smallscreen by former Banshee showrunner Greg Yaitanes, Quarry is a gloomy but fascinating look into the world of contract killers, Vietnam war veterans coping with shellshock, 1970’s race relations and more… The world that we dive into in Quarry is both bleak but captivating as we spend time with Mac (aka Quarry) and each and every other contract killer or their family members. Logan Marshall-Green is our leading man and he is real as hell – I’m not sure he’s acting – I think he just really is THAT guy.
I’m in love with not only the series Quarry – but the entire world that Yaitanes and his crew have created. The music, the people, the action, the Broker and his employees (who are all so damn intriguing), this series is the sleeper hit of 2016 and a candidate for best new show of the year. Mac, Buddy, The Broker, even Tom Noonan’s silent performance as the bearded car dealership guy who arranges the transportation — everything about Quarry is fascinating. I urge you to check it out if you missed it the first time – you will not regret it. Easily one of the top 5 shows of 2016 – it’s perfect. (Read my full review HERE)
- Quan Thang Inquiry Scenes: This feature was easily the most intriguing one of the set. It’s like a lost episode in some ways, because we see Mac and his buddy talking to one another in the waiting room before they each get interviewed separately (including their SGT) about the horrific events in Vietnam. It was REALLY cool seeing these clips, especially the two versions of Mac’s – one where some fairly important info was edited out and one where it isn’t. I highly recommend you watch this right after finishing season one. Incredible insight into the story and characters of this mesmerising series.
- Inside Quarry: This is your standard HBO wrap-up where cast and crew reflect on every episode included with some BTS footage and interesting tidbits. I love these features and I’d be lost without them because although brief – they are all wonderful.
- About Quarry: A feature with cast and crew talking about the season and series overall.
- Music of Memphis: An inside look at the soundtrack and live performances featured on the debut season.
- Music Videos: A collection of music clips featuring the amazing selections that were used on the show’s soundtrack.
- Recreating 1972: How the cast and crew turned back the clock to make the show a period piece in the 70’s.
- Love Letters: Listen to all the audio tape correspondence between Mac and Joni, which you heard bits and pieces of on the show.
- Car Chase Picture in Picture: A deep look into the breathtaking car chase sequence early in the season. Easily one of the coolest moments of the first season.
- Deleted Scenes: Over two dozen of them – and honestly they could have thrown em all into the show. Every moment of Quarry is delicious.
More from my site
Latest posts by Keven Skinner (see all)
- Comic-Con 2017 Top 10 Reveals Including Ready Player One, Stranger Things Season 2 & More - July 24, 2017
- Another Wolfcop Director Lowell Dean Talks Kevin Smith, Supergrid & Atomic Victory Squad Comic! (Interview) - July 24, 2017
- Comic-Con 2017 Day 2 Winner is AMC with Herr Starr Preacher Trailer & The Walking Dead Time Jump Tease - July 21, 2017