Heavy Metal icons GWAR are returning to comics with their upcoming original graphic novel ‘The Enormogantic Fail’ to be published by Renegade Arts Entertainment and released on November 7th, 2019. Featuring writers Matt Maguire (art too) and Matt Miner; artists Liana Kangas, Lukasz Kowalczuk, Matt Lejeune, Katie Longua, Jeff Martin and Kelly Williams; cover artists Jonathan Brandon Sawyer and Josh Jensen (colors); letters by Taylor Esposito; editor Brendan Wright and publisher: Alexander Finbow. Here is my advanced review:
You know their name, you know their music but do you know their story? Everyone’s favourite blood spewing alien band return to comics in an all new 96 page graphic novel. The Master is at it again in a fierce battle against Cardinal Syn. To get into the Master’s good graces, the Destructo brothers have trapped GWAR in order to interrogate them to find the key to destroying Cardinal Syn once and for all. Will Sawborg and Bozo Destructo get the answers they need? Can GWAR escape their clutches? Will Cardinal Syn destroy them all? And what really happened when GWAR were banished to earth? All will be revealed in GWAR: The Enormogantic Fail, a new 96 page graphic novel from GWAR and Renegade Arts Entertainment. Written by Matt Maguire (GWAR) and Matt Miner (Critical Hit, Toe Tag Riot), with art by some of the greatest comic creators this side of Flab Quarv 7, hand-picked by GWAR themselves. $19.99 US, ISBN: 9781988903477
I’ve seen the band GWAR live. I left covered in fake blood. Lot’s of it.
If you know of the heavy metal icons, then you know what to expect from The Enormogantic Fail, an original graphic novel published right here in the great province of Alberta, Canada. Renegade Arts is one of the best indie publishers in North America and this latest team-up with GWAR may be their finest offering to date. That is – if you enjoy things like the brutal slaughter of an entire race of butt-headed aliens by a crew of super high and drunk misfits that eventually become the mighty metal band GWAR.
The Enormogantic Fail is not for everyone. But for fans of Heavy Metal, yes the music and the magazine – then you must immediately purchase this monstrous blood-soaked black comedy because it is something to behold. The plot of the book features GWAR on trial with each member of the band recounting what led to the explosion of a planet during a raid against the villainous Cardinal Syn. Each member of the band has a story to tell and although certain elements remain the same, most of the finer details (and gore) changes significantly from one re-account to the next, as does the art style. It’s a wonderful collaboration to see so many talented artists coming together to showcase their own vision of GWAR and the unholy destruction they wreak upon this hapless planet of assheads. Beefcake’s story is 100% the most jarring and disturbing one of the bunch due to him being so high on drugs, that he envisions all of planet’s inhabitants as pieces of food… You’ll see how this ends whether you want to or not.
Writers Matt Maguire and Matt Miner truly understand the essence of metal pioneers GWAR, known for their theatrical stage shows in which they sacrifice people and hose the crowd down with fake blood and slime. The show is like a space alien viking death carnival, but with great music and a penchant for splatterhouse comedy. The dialog in this book is so unrelentingly metal and the theatrics in which it flows from one story to the next, really ties everything together with a neat bow – made from intestines. The best letterer in the business – Taylor Esposito is the man responsible for tying this gory mess altogether as well, which is no easy feat considering he’s working with a murderer’s row of artists, all bringing their own unique vision to the party.
For fans of the band, this book is also an incredible look at the origin of the group’s descent to Earth as well. If you ever wanted to see why GWAR wound up on this filthy planet, then The Enormogantic Fail is that historical document. It’s not often that a comic can be this disgusting while still retaining a great sense of humor in the process. The reader is essentially recounting a genocide with non-stop laughs for nearly 100 pages and the violence is at an all-time high here. You’ll see people skewered alive and at one point I’m pretty sure I saw someone using a person’s intestines as a slingshot, wrapped around their legs, in order to launch their own severed head.
GWAR is an acquired taste, but it’s the most metal of flavors and one that i absolutely adore. I don’t know what that says about my mental state, but I do know that The Enormogantic Fail kicked my ass. Hard.
- GWAR is a Grammy nominated, American rock band known for theatrical live shows. Their latest album, “The Blood of Gods” is nothing less than a sacred text chronicling the rise of humanity against their makers, and the massive battle between GWAR and the forces of all that is uptight and wrong with the world. Along the way, the band challenges the sins of their great mistake, from politics, pollution, and organized religion, to fast food, and factory farming. Humans are shown as what they are; a parasitic disease that must be eradicated before they suck the planet dry. Born of adversity, “The Blood of Gods” is a sonic scar…a question asked and answered… More information at www.gwar.net/
- Renegade Arts Entertainment is an award winning, Canadian graphic novel publisher established in 2009. Founded as a creator owned company, Renegade publishes 4-6 titles a year. More information at www.renegadeartsentertainment.com/comics-about
Latest posts by Keven Skinner (see all)
- JOKER 4K Blu-ray Release Date & Special Features Revealed - December 3, 2019
- GEMINI MAN 4K Blu-ray Release Date & Special Features Revealed - December 3, 2019
- The Goldfinch is a 2.5 Hour Lifetime Channel Film About Nothing (Blu-ray Review) - December 3, 2019